Ozone is a form of oxygen that has anti-bacterial, anti-viral, and fungicidal properties.
Ozone therapy is one of the most popular and effective anti-inflammatory technique for pain management. It involves introduction of a carefully prepared mixture of small and controlled amounts of ozone and medical grade oxygen into the body by various means. This therapy works by reducing the size of the infected or abnormal part. Thus pain or pressure on the nerve root is reduced. Ozone therapy when used with corticosteroid and analgesics provide better results.
Indications for Ozone Therapy
- Recurring or failed disk surgeries
- Prolapsed disk
- Spinal pain
- Arthritis, rheumatism, and other joint diseases
- Intervertebral disc protrusions and herniations
- Chronic bacterial and viral infections
- Painful ligaments and joints
- Conditions that didn’t respond to conventional medicine
How does Ozone Therapy works?
On introduction of ozone into the affected part, it first affects the phosphorous in the nucleus of
the disk. This causes the discharge of water molecules from the disk matrix. As a result, the
matrix is completely degenerated. Within a period of 5-6 weeks, the degenerated matrix is
replaced with a small fibrous tissue. Thus the size of disk is reduced. This reduces the pain or
pressure on nerve roots.
After the procedure, the patient is advised to take rest with face laid up. And after getting discharged from the hospital, patient is advised to resume normal and regular body movements. Short period symptoms like burning sensation may occur and vanish soon.
Advantages of Ozone Therapy
- Stimulates the body’s own healing mechanisms
- Good immune-modulating action
- elieves pain due to its anti-inflammatory action
- High success rate
- No hospitalization is required and patient is discharged on the same day
- No serious effects known
Dr Manish Vaish - Neurosurgeon
Neurosurgeon NCR, Delhi
Dr. Yashpal Bundela MS Mch
Dr.Girish Rajpal MS Mch FINR
Dr. Shiwani Jain MD FNB
PDFC (Neuro-anaesthesia and Critical care)
Dr Hrishikesh Chakrabartty
Dr.Praveen Kumar MS Mch
Dr. Manish Marda MD DM